Reading has never went out of style, however, it has became less visible. Literature over Libations, is not like any other book club–hence the reason for denoting it as a project. This group functions under no pretenses other than what is written below.
Mission: Literature over Libations is a book club project that exists as a means to socialize with a purpose.
- Encourage reading
- Promote literacy
- Foster meaning dialogue
- Raise funds to advance higher learning
- It’s important to say first and foremost, reading is powerful. It is a skill that’s not only fundamental, but monumental. The benefits of reading are endless and can vary for every person. The intent of this project is to exhibit, support, and foster reading/learning in the most favorable ways.
- The name of this group was created in the spirit of not being mistaken as a stuffy or pretentious group. Literature over Libations can be interpreted in two ways. One as a group that prefers literature rather than drinking. Or as a group that meets for the purpose of doing both. You choose the interpretation you like! Either way the group functions in a social and civic capacity.
- Raleigh-Durham chapter: meets every third Friday of the month. We exclusively meet at various eateries, preferably private-owned establishments. This month only, the meeting will be pushed up to April 12th, email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP
- Online chapter: tweet chat every third Thursday of the month at 8 PM EST. If you don’t have the flexibility to meet face-to-face or we there is not yet a chapter in your area–this is the perfect solution! Hashtag #loverlchat
May 2013: The Divorcee Chronicles: Diary of a Divorcee Diva by Michelle Stephens
April 2013: Midnight by Sista Souljah
March 2013: Peaches & The Gambler by A.T. Hicks
February 2013: The Elopement: A Memoir by Dipika Kohli
January 2013: Grace: A Memoir by Grace Coddington
December 2012: A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown
November 2012: Something Like Beautiful by Asha Bandele
October 2012: The Prisoner’s Wife by Asha Bandele